Thursday, June 26, 2014
The car was taken to the mobile claim tent. The adjuster there inspected the car. Original estimate for repairs was about $9K. The adjuster had to sent the info to the home office - deciding to perhaps total the car.
A couple days later, I got the word that they decided to total the car. However, I was given the option to retain the vehicle. The home office e-mailed me details of their offer and my options.
Talked with my insurance agent - mostly to understand the ramification of retaining the vehicle verses giving the car to the insurance company and buying a new (used) car. I decided it was better in my interest to retain the current vehicle.
Photos here show the hail damage to the car.
Like my previous Impala (2002), I drove the car to 207K miles. For me, the 63K on the 2011 Impala is just broken in. Stopped in town to get estimate for windshield replacement. Scheduled that replacement and repaid of the tail lights.
Two contractors have inspected the house and furnished estimates. Estimates are in the ballpark - near the insurance estimates. Will use the weekend to review the estimates and make my decision.
Have already talking with my financial adviser. The house needs some work and I had been looking to make some upgrades (anti-plug gutters, painting, etc). This is the best time to get the work done.
I should comment about working with my insurance company. My insurance carrier is Allied (part of Nationwide). The insurance adjusters (car and house) were first in a hurry to settle. They were happy to settle over the phone. I told them that I needed pieces of paper that I can look at and review. They quickly sent me what I needed. In the case of the car, I asked that the offer e-mailed to me. It was in my inbox in a couple hours. Between my agent and the adjusters, they were happy to address any questions I have. Finally, the settlements are fair.
Tuesday, June 3, 2014
Unfortunately, I have too much stuff in the garage and can't get the car in. I opened the garage door to look at the storm. It looked like a high-pressure washer outside with leaves blowing with the rain. I saw about golf-ball sized hail. All the grass had been flattened.
As I got into the car, I noticed some dimples in the roof. In that car, I could see that the windshield was cracked from at least 2 hail stones. Guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow - insurance estimates and windshield replaced.
Less than an mile down the road it is blocked by a large tree branch across the road. The branch tore the power lines from the pole.
When I got to Panera, I was wondering if they were even opened. Almost no one in the bakery. Ordered some dinner and booted up the computer. While there, another squall hit town. Radar was showing it was going to be a long night. It was time to head to the house to see if power was back on.
As I bottomed the hill at Keg Creek, I saw it was much higher than it was just 2 hours early. It is now out of its banks. Heading back up 275th St to the house, I had to dodge that same tree. No effort has been made to clear the street or repair the downed power lines. Since it was getting dark and more storms are on the squall line, it looked like it was anybody's guess when power might me restored.
Stopped down at the bottom of the hill to look at the creek level. In the 28 years I have lived here, i have not seen water this high. Packed my pill caddy and a small bag for a change of clothes and headed to town. Checked into a motel in town. At least have power and comfort for the night.