Wednesday, March 2, 2011

RIP Dick Zion


Yesterday was one of those days that I just HAD to get out to ride. Not really enthused, but had to get out. I loaded up the hybrid and donned my kit. Headed to the Wabash Trace Trailhead.

Rode the paved trail toward the Trails Center. The only "dicy" section of the trail was ice on Indian Creek under Hwy 92. Rutted ice that would throw a rider, specially with the 28mm tires I was riding.

Made my normal stop at the Trails Center. Signed the book. Back at my bike, Dewey called to me. He told me that Dick Zion (another of the folks at the Trails Center) had died. It was a shock for me. We had become more than just acquaintances at the Trails Center. He suggested some web sites for my photography. I showed him my work, kept him advised on trail conditions. He was always interested in my miles and health.

Checked my archive, hoping that I night have taken a photo of Dick during my visits, but it looks like I had not. The above photo is copied from the obituary. Gonna miss you, Dick.

From the Trails Center, I rode into town to stop by the bike shop. Had not been in a while since last week I was suffering the bug going around. Kept me in the house (except for coffee & breakfast) for much of a week. Told Zack about Dick's passing.

On to the car. Ended up with over 18 miles. Really tired after the ride.

No comments: