Friday, August 7, 2015

House Moving

No, I am not moving, yet.  Yesterday a house came down the road, here.  Word is it was being moved from Council Bluffs to Treynor.  First indication I had was a letter from the power company that our electrical service could be interrupted for a house move.  My power was cut about 10:50 Thursday morning.  Next came the power company trucks dropping the wires.
And the county police started arriving and directing traffic.  L52 (257th St) was blocked south from my house.
The police left sounding sirens - seems there was a traffic accident in the area on US 6,  Traffic was heavy.  Several factors adding to the traffic:  Folks wanting to see the house move, house moving entourage and all their vehicles, and detour around the highway accident.

The Deputy Sheriff told me there is a delay - the "trailer" hauling the house blew a tire.  Grabbed the longest lens for my camera.  From my driveway, I could see the house was almost down to Cottonwood Rd.
Eventually, the house was on the move, again.  These Iowa hills are rough for moving something like a house.  As the house came closer (topping the hill just south of me) I saw a farm tractor pulling the house.  A friend of the tractor owner said the farm tractor was need in addition to the truck to haul the house up the hills.
The caravan moved across the neighbor to the South.  Surprisingly. the raised the house high enough to clear the mailboxes.  The next hurdle was turning the corner in front of my house.
With the slope and turn, the truck did not have the traction to move the house up the hill,  The faarm tractor was again called in for power.
To negotiate the intersection, the crew had to slip the truck sidewise and bring the house forward.
While all of this jockeying around crew discussion was happening, I too the opportunity to look at the dollies under the house.  Guess it the engineer in me!
Each dolly was equipped with a hydraulic mechanism to raise and lower the load.  I notice that not all of the tires were the same size. All same in one dolly, but verified from one dolly to another. 
Next, they used the truck and tractor to bring the house up to the intersection.  It took the power and traction of the truck and tractor to turn the house.  Several times, the crew has to stop and raise/lower the rams on the dollies.  At some time, they had one or two workers under the house steering and leveling the dollies.
It was an event for the community.  Several neighbors stopped by to witness to move.  In the photo are the mailboxes in front of my house.
Eventually, the house and the entourage headed East down Dogwood Rd.  The turn of the house from Northbound 275th to Eastbound Dogwood Rd took over 45 minutes.
Finally, the power company line crew was on the move to restore power.  Ended up I was out of power for about 3 hours.

I have not idea how much it cost to move a house like this one.  I did not think it was anything special.  Doubt I could have justified the cost of the move versus building new.

1 comment: