Monday, August 31, 2015

Forest City to Decorah

Internet was still out at my friend's place.  Had some breakfast and loaded the car.  Before 10 am i was o the road heading East.  I noticed there was a paoved bicycle trail along the South side of rt. 9 East out of Forest City. In Manly, Iowa, I stopped to take a photo of an old locomotive and caboose on display.

Chuck has suggested stopping at a local park near Osage, IA.  A natural spring in Spring Park near the Cedar River.  Fount the park and took a couple of photos of the spring.  Nice little park with vault toilets, shelters, tables, and discus golf.  Camping is also available in the park. (see upper photo)

On towards Decorah. Rails-toTrails trail along the South side of Rt 9.  It is the Prairie Farmer Trail, from Calmar to Cresco.

In Decorah, I found the Visitor's Center downtown.  Picked up trail maps and area information.  Went to my motel (little early and my room was not ready, yet).  Drove back downtown to take some photos.  interesting architecture in the town. Prominent on a hill is the Winneshiek County Courthouse. 

Driving around town I found the local Trek bicycle dealer.  Visited and got the skinny about the Trout Run Trail.  Next door they had sandwiches and ICE CREAM!  really enjoyed at large "Tornado" (their version of a DQ Blizzard).  Back to the motel to settle into the room.

Two brewery "tap rooms" in town.  Just like in Mason City, they are tap room - no food served.  Was able to find the Toppling Goliath Tap Room on Collage Drive.  Had a pain of Murph's - thier amber ale.  Their web site says you can order food for delivery.  Was going to do that but the gals behind the bar seemed to have no interesting waiting on me past the pint of beer. 

Drove back to Water Street (main drag in town0 and found Mabe's Pizza.  I was not looking for pizza, but they have sandwiches.  Ordered my bacon-cheeseburger with fries.  They had "Dorothy's" on tap - also from Toppling Goliath.  Did not like this beer. Too light and fruity.

In the morning, I can pedal from my room.  Its just 2 blocks from the motel to the Trout Run Trail!  Be on the trail early in the morning before it get hot and muggy.   Called it an evening.  Got a sick during the night - something I ate and drank did not agree with me.

No comments: