Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving Trip

For many years, I drove from SW Iowa to SE Wisconsin for Thanksgiving.  With my move to New Mexico, I have not been interested in paying the cost and dealing with the crowds to fly for the holiday, much less drive in questionable weather condition.
last year I was invited to celebrate with my cousin and his friends. This year for Thanksgiving, I am taking the opportunity to visit on-line friends and play tourist.

Packed up the car heading toward SE New Mexico.  First destination being Roswell, planning to visit the UFO museum.  On the way, I found another boring long stretch of highway - that being the 140 miles on US 285 between Clines Corner to Roswell, NM. 

Along the highway I drove through the almost ghost town of  Encino.  The only other was the railroad town of Vaugh.  About the only other "scenery" along the highway were two cowboys (one pictured here) guarding the highway.  Guess I really am in cowboy country.

I arrived Roswell 12:45 and packed at the UFO Museum lot.  Walking to the door, I learned the museum had closed at noon for the Thanksgiving holiday.  The last time I was in Roswell, I was too late in the day (after 5pm) tour.  So, being 0 for 2, I am thinking the museum must be not worth the effort.

Checked into my hotel (early).  Settled into the room and checked my e-mail a social media website.  Was thinking of showering and heading out for dinner, but was not hungry, so just chilled out in the room.  No big hurry to get on the road in the morning - it's only 2 hours to Hobbs and I am expected a little after noon.

No comments: