Saturday, October 18, 2008

Omaha Bike Summit

It was a short night - got home from Full Moon Ride about 11pm. Was after midnight when I finally got to bed, up at 5am to get ready for the Bike Summit. The summit was done by Bikeable Communities.

I was not sure about attending because the agenda looks like all geared to Omaha. Decided to go anyway - to get known more in the area.

There was some good information - for Omaha. Lots of Omaha officials, staff, etc. I did not recognize anyone from Council Bluffs (other than me). At one time, I wondered if I belonged there at all - but the logo of Bikeable Communities shows a map of Dodge, Douglas, & Sarpy counties in Nebraska and Pottawattamie and Mills Counties in Iowa.

My feeling - as usual, Council Bluffs is "step-child" to Omaha.

Anyway, like I said, there was good information. Speakers were:
Martin Shukert - City of Omaha Progress and Status Report
Robert Johnson - Ped Net (GetAbout Columbia)
Deputy Chief Mark Sundermeier - Bicycles & Policing in Omaha
Connie Spellman - Green Streets Master Plan
Mike LaViolette - Missouri River Pedestrian Bridge
Mark Wyatt - Bike Parking Opportunities & Alternatives

After lunch, we took a walk over the bridge.

I am thinking of starting a page of my web site with notes, photos, and impressions of Bikeable Communities. That would give me a place to put future information.

Oh. and one more thing, by attending the Bike Summit, I became a member of Bikeable Communities. And you know how I am, I volunteered to serve on a Communications Committee.

No comments: