Thursday, July 1, 2010

Bent Creek Trails


Tuesday morning I headed out to the Bent Creek Research and Demonstration Forest. I had heard that this is a good ride, specially with its proximity to Asheville.

At BioWheels, I picked up a copy of Western NC Pisgah, Volume II, Off the Beaten Track Mountain Bike Guide Series. The Deerfield-PineTree-Explorer loop was recommended to me. The loop starts from the Hardtimes Trailhead.

After about 0.3 miles on gravel road, the loop turns onto singletrack. This is the Homestead Trail (#3330. This is a wide trail along a creek and on to Lake Powhatan. The photo with this post is of a canopy of Rhododendron over the trail.

The loop takes a left turn and heads up. I had to start walking there. With the humidity, I was feeling miserable. There are no signs at trail junctions, so need at very good map or cue sheet to make the loop.

These factors and with all of the walking the day before at Biltmore, I called it a morning and headed back to the car. A disappointing 2 miles.

No comments: