I received this information today. Please write/call your Congressman and Senators. I did today.
Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects in the Economic Recovery Bill???
The House and the Senate have each passed their own version of the Economic Recovery Bill, aimed at creating jobs and stimulating the economy. Both bills include billions for transportation infrastructure, but only the House bill includes funding for bicycle and pedestrian projects in the Transportation Enhancements program. The House bill includes approximately $1.35 billion for Transportation Enhancements of which 50-60% is traditionally spent on bicycle and pedestrian projects. The Senate bill does not explicitly include Transportation Enhancements, so it’s unclear whether this funding will be in the final bill.
We need to make sure Transportation Enhancement funding is in the final bill.
This week there will be a conference committee where several members of the House and several members of the Senate will work together to reconcile the two bills. Conferees need to hear that Transportation Enhancements are important to stimulating the economy, creating green jobs, and moving us towards a sustainable future.
Please call your senators and representative and ask them to tell the Conferees to support Transportation Enhancements in the Economic Recovery bill. Tell them:
· Bicycle and pedestrian projects create jobs at the same or better rate than highway projects.
· These smaller projects can move quickly to hire local businesses and help local economies.
· Providing safe and convenient bicycle and pedestrian access gives families healthier and cheaper transportation freedom and choice.
· Improving sidewalks and bike lanes can make a downtown a destination further helping the local economy.
· Better biking and walking options also help ensure greater energy independence, less pollution, and a healthier United States!