Sunday, July 19, 2009

RAGBRAI Starts Today

As I write this, some 20,000 bicycle riders and support vehicles are taking to the road for the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. I wish them safe travels, and "rubber side down".

A couple of years ago, when RAGBRAI started in Onawa, I thought about riding a day. Since then, my interest has changed, I look for sweet singletrack. I enjoy a ride with a few friends. The longest day I have ridden is just over 40 miles.

This morning, I am somewhat disappointed then I did not train and plan to ride for a day with my friends. Too late now - and not sure that I will have a better opportunity, specially if I get serious about moving to New Mexico.

On the other side, I had an awesome trip to Arizona. Rode lots of singletrack. And I am not a "crowd" kind of guy. Give me ride with a couple of friends or a peaceful ride in the woods any day.

Beautiful Fall type day here. The last 3 days have been the same. Rode pavement Friday (28 miles), and the Wabash Trace (20 miles) yesterday. Word is that the dirt is in good shape. I can hear the trail at Lake Manawa calling me.

No comments: