Saturday, January 26, 2013

South by West


Thursday, it was 1 deg when I headed West, then South to escape the cold and do some bicycle riding. Two days on the road - destination Albuquerque, NM.

By the time I reached Colorado, it was warming up. By the time I reached Brush, it was in the upper 50s. With the decent weather, I decided to drive South on Colorado 71. This route got me off the interstate and bypasses Denver.

This route takes me close to Bent's Old Fort near La Junta, CO. Looked like La Junta was a good place to stop for the night. Reserved a room at the Super 8. When I got into town, I settled in the room and went to Boss Hogg's Restaurant & Saloon for dinner.

Friday morning, it was warm enough to wear shorts and sweatshirt. I went to Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site. It was a reconstructed trading fort along the Santa Fe Trail. The photo above is of Bent's Old Fort. Thankful that i had the cortisone shot in the knee last week - otherwise i would not have been able to walk the long path from the parking lot to the fort!

There will be a page on my web site with photos I took during my visit to the fort. Was back on the road heading to Albuquerque by 11am. The worst part of the trip was arriving Albuquerque during Friday afternoon rush-hour.

No comments: