Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ride to Trails Center

Since the last day I rode, we had lots of clouds and 2 storms that left us a dusting of snow.  Anyway, the weather finally started turning into Spring temperatures.

At noon, it was mostly sunny and in the low to mid 50s.  Light breeze from the East.  HAD to get out for a bike ride.  Kitted up, loaded the hybrid on the car and headed to the Wabash Trace Trailhead.  No plans for just how far I would ride.

Stopped at Indian Creek Bridge for a rest and some water.  Visited with another rider.  Turned North on Indian Creek Trail.  As I neared Veteran's Memorial Trail, I decide I was feeling good enough to continue on to the Western Historic Trails Center.  After all, I had not been there yet this year - needed to show my face.

As I parked the bike, I realized its Thursday - Jam & Bread day.  Stopped in long enough to sign the register.  Sat on the retaining wall for eat a granola bar and drank a bottle of G2.  Time to head back to the car.

Knew I would have to take it easy on the way back as I was basically riding into the wind.  Rode at a steady 9-10 mph.   Stopped for a drink of water once I was along E Manawa Drive.  When I was ready to turn over to Lake Manawa Trail, I stopped for a little more water and starteded sucking on a shot blok.  Knew one would help me make it back to the car.

Climbing up after tunnel and RR trestle,  I knew that I had made the right decision as for length of the ride.  Exhausted and legs almost shot when I got back to the car.  Loaded the bike and headed home.

Great ride!  Re-hydrated with more water and PowerAde Zero.  Topped the afternoon with my large salad.  It will feel good to get horizontal in bed this evening.

Today's photo is my hybrid at the Trails Center.  With very little color in the photo, processed it in monochrome and added some sepia tint.  OH, I ended up with 16 miles, the longest ride of the season (so far).

No comments: