Sunday, July 21, 2013

RAGBRAI Riders Have Left Council Bluffs & Lost Riders

The traveling party called RAGBRAI (Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) left Council Bluffs today.  Next stop, Harlan.  Word was that traffic was blocked along the route from MAC Center through town.  This basically split the city in half.  About the only way to get across town was on South 9th.

I heard about this at coffee at Panera Bread.  Luckily, I did not have to get close to the route. 

After noon, I figured it was safe to drive into town to run errands.  At Quick, I saw two guys on bicycles, looking lost.  I asked if they were "OK".  The one said there were OK, then after a pause said "But I think we are lost".

I guess they were!  The had missed the turn toward Underwood about 1- miles back down the road.  Besides being lost, they did not have a map.  I moved the car to get it out of the roadway and grabbed a Iowa highway map.

Showed them where they were and how to get back on the route.  They asked if there was a route that is somewhat "flat".  I told them there is no "flat" road out here.  Showed him how to get them to Underwood and back on the RAGBRAI route.

Just about that time, another rider came South - he was on his way back to CB from Minden.  He suggested the same route, and conformed for them that there was not flat roads out here.

They were from out East (DC or such).  The one doing most of the talking said his wife had called and wondered where they were.  He told here "In Iowa - We did not go the wrong was to Missouri". 

I felt good - that I had done my good deed for the day.  The talker said what he liked about Iowa was that everyone was so helpful and friendly.  Left them to heard North on L52 toward Underwood.  I should have took their photo - but was already down the road toward town.

Made a good story when I stopped in at the bike shop (Xtreme Wheels). 

No comments: