Monday, January 30, 2017

Quebradas Back Country Byway

It was time to make a trip to Bosque del Apache.  I decided to make a couple day trip out of it and
play tourist.  On the NM DOT web site I found map and information for some scenic drives.  It has been dry, so I was sure back country dirt/gravel roads would be passable.  Guebradas Byway was along my way from Rio Rancho to Bosque del Apache.

Thanks to good direction on the DOT web sire, I was able to find the byway off I-25 at Escondida (just North of Socorro).  Follow carefully the NMDOT web site direction to find the start of this back country byway.

It was a welcome break from the Interstate and the traffic of the ABQ Merto area.  Other than some folks out for 4-wheeling in  "dune buggy type" vehicles, I only encountered about 3 or 4 vehicles on the 24 mile road.

The road drops you onto US380 about 11 miles East of San Antonio.From there, I drove south on NM 1 to the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuse visitors center.  By that time I needed was facility break and picked up pass for the refuge.


No comments: