Sunday, October 8, 2017

Balloon Fiesta - 2017 - Opening Day

Friday evening, I finished charging camera batteries and packing up mt camera bad in preparations for the first morning of Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.  Had breakfast at IHOP for fuel for the day.  (Service sucked - had to call into in the kitchen to get someone so I can pay my check).

I was at the entrance to Balloon Fiesta Park about 4am, - traffic was already backed up to get in and park.  But was able to get front row parking near the entrance.  Two other HDARC members arrived about the same time.  Two others of our crew for the day started our a little later and got stuck in heavy traffic.

We finished getting the special events station W5B set up.  Made a few digital contacts - including a couple with Japan ON 40 METERS!  Watch the Dawn Patrol lift off.

 Ed gave me a primer on current ham radio SSTV (slow-scan TV).  The two of us headed out to shoot photos of the balloons, sending them to the test via ham radio (ala "roving reporters").  I had lots of fun with this new version of SSTV - much more compact that the old days!

.After the mass accession of the balloons, we got busy in the Balloon Discovery Tent.  Folks where checking out what there was beyond the balloons.    Met a couple other haps attending the fiesta.  Lots of youngsters that were wondering what we were all about.

The crowns starter thinning out about 11am.  My speach is about to go out and getting a head ache.  As the morning sessions came to a close at 11am, I was tired and ready to head home.  It was all I could do to walk back to my car.

When I got home, I undressed and head into bed - was exhausted. 


No comments: