Friday, February 1, 2013

Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument


Enough of this sleeping in and taking it easy. Today I decided to check out Kasha-Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument before my bike ride. Kasha-Katuwe was made a national monument in January 2001.

I had not heard about the monument until I saw information about it in the Albuquerque "Official Visitor's Guide". Since it is located 55 miles north of Albuquerque - I had to check it out. Think you know that I am big on National Parks, National Monuments, and National Historic Sites.

In order to get the better feel of the location, I walked the Cave Loop Trail to the Slot Canyon Trail. Had to check out the canyon so walked into the canyon a little - enough to take a couple photos. Had to stop several times to rest my leg/knee and catch my breath. I actually was surprised how far I was able to walk (considering the bike path climbing yesterday).

To hike the whole Slot Canyon Trail, would mean 630 foot climb in the mile trail length. I would have liked to hike up and see from the top, but figured it would be over my knee's ability. And, my breathing was laboring enough with the altitude.

Back to the Cave Loop, I was thinking of walking the rest of the loop, but the trail seemed to get a bit steeper and I still had to walk back to the car. Walking back, I could see that there was a lot of elevation change on the trail.

Next stop was to drive up to the Veteran's Memorial Scenic Overlook. The 3 mile gravel road was no problem. Great views from the overlook.

No comments: