Thursday, May 2, 2013

Four Wleels or Two

Last weekend, I received the June issue of Bicycling magazine. I took issue with the Bike Snob's column "Four Wheels or Two". Basically, he claims that if you are a recreational rider, "there's no reason you shouldn't be able to step outside, clip in and stay clipped in until you get home".

I sent the following letter to "Bicycling" magazine:

Four Wheels or Two

The Bike Snob is true to his name in his column. I am not a racer. but a recreational cyclist. In this area, there are a lot of us. Many of us are older and riding for our health. For safety, we prefer riding bicycle paths.

In my case, I live out in the country. It is 2 hilly miles on gravel to get to pavement. Then, the paved 2-lane highway is dangerous with just gravel shoulders and heavy traffic. Not a place for a 65 year old recreational rider with a mechanical heart valve.

I would like to ride to my ride, but it is just not feasible. We want to get out for some exercise and fresh air for a relaxing 10-20 mile bike ride. The only "training" we are doing is training for life. Get over yourself and enjoy the ride.

Tom Winfield


No comments: