Sunday, June 10, 2012

Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Festival



Saturday was a busy day at the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Festival. I arrived about 7:30 am the check in my art work for the show. About the same time whey were starting the morning kayak tour. It is always interesting as organized chaos gels into a festival.

The festival opened at 9am. I was pre-registered, which made check-in a snap. Wrist bands for various function, My red band signified I was on the Poker Ride. This was also time to contemplate raffle prizes and souvenir purchases (t-shirts, socks).

At the same time, the XC time trial was run on the dirt trails. I did not go to shoot the time trail or the hill climb (later in the morning). The vendor area opened. Bike manufacturers, bike shops, eateries, trail groups, paddle boat rides, masseuses, even a B&B hawking Viking wares. There dare-devils were jumping from a lift, dropping onto a big air bag (US Air Bag).

10am it was the Bike Parade. Crosby Fire Department and IMBA lead off the parade. The parade came out of the park, up Hwy 210, through downtown Crosby, and back. Once the parade departed the park, I headed to the hotel to change clothes (into my cycling kit).

By the rime I was back, the festival was in full swing. 11 am was the Kryponite Hill Climb. Live music started at the pavilion. Youth and beginner skills ares were off to camp to hone their trail riding skills.

Group rides departed Crosby Memorial Park at 12:30, The same time the group rides were out on the singletrack, back a the Park were clinics on basic bike maintenance and trail preparedness.

Twin Cities Fantasy Factory had two BMX stunt shows featuring their traveling Mega Jump. Amazing how high these kids and their bikes could fly. The photo with this posting shows a riding and his bike fly over another while standing on top of the Mega Jump. Took .many photos of the stunt show - posted on the events web site

I did the poker ride. With the heat and my health, I drove part of the way. Still took me 1 1/2 hours to get the 5 cards. But no luck, the hand I was deals -- K-Q-J-9-3. Winning hand was 4 Ace's.

There was the always popular kid's races. I have never seen so many kids on bikes! The kid's races earned a separate section of the events photo web site.

There was the second performance of the BMX Stunt Show. Following was the awards ceremony. I received a commemorate medallion for my entry in the Art Show. By this time, i was past exhausted. Headed for the car and drove back to the hotel. Ended the day with a shower, dinner at the Deerstand, and then into BED!

I had a good time. As I expected, the organizers crammed too much into one day. I would have prefered a 2-day event.

Photos I took during the festival are posted on my events & race photo web site http://win-photo.photorefelect.com

No comments: