Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Outside Bike, Brew, and Beyond


I just saw information about a new bicycle festival.  I have been looking for a Spring festival.  Mark your calendars for May 16-18, 2014 in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

From NewMexico.org web site: "Outside Magazine and Cycle Santa Fe present the inaugural Bike and Brew Festival, a three day celebration of craft beer culture and exceptional road and mountain biking in beautiful Santa Fe."

The festival is being held in conjunction with the Santa Fe Century (29th Annual) and Gran Fondu.  What I can see from the web site, there is no cover charge for the festival.  But guessing that the brews and food are ala carte.  There IS a fee for the Century ride (100 mile, 50 mile, or 20 mile ride).

This is sure tempting.  Not sure that I could do Santa Fe mid May and Crosby, NM in June.  Santa Fe is much further to drive to, but the festival is over 3 days (the Cuyuna festival is 1 1/2 days).  I am familiar with the Cuyuna festival and trails.  Have never ridden trails in Santa Fe.  The Santa Fe festival is for road bikes, mountain bikes, and cruisers.  The 7000 ft elevation of Santa Fe might be too much for me.

Time to look at my finances.  I had already planned to skip the Black Hills festival because of the lodging cost (over $100 a night).  Santa Fe has rooms for under $60 a night.

For othes looking at mountin bikeing festivals -- Crested Butte Bike Week (Colorado) is June 25-29, 2014.


No comments: