Friday, May 4, 2018

Disappointing Drive to Gila Cliff Dwellings

Headed out to make the loop to Gila Cliff Dwellings. Pause at the mine to two photos.  The observation ate was closed.  Turned onto Rt 35,  Was a beautiful, mostly relaxing drive.  At the intersection with Rt 15, the drive became a bit more taxing,  New Mexico 15 is a winding, narrow road, most of the time in the Gila National Forest..

After almost 2 hours from leaving my motel, I arried at the Visitor's Center.  The ranger gave me some recommends understanding my knee problems. Even with that, I had problems.  I just headed a few yards down one of the trails and had to turn back because I coulde not catch my breath.  There should not the problem - considering I live at 5500 ft and the Monument is a little over 6000.  But I had bip problems for some reason.

Gave up and drove 15 all the way back to Silver City.  This route is a twisting, wooded mountain road all the way to Pinos Altos.  Easy drive rest of the way to town.

Rested at the motel for a while.  Headed back to Pinos Alsos to the Buckhorn for dinner.  Had two bottle os Amber Fat Tire with a bacon-cheeseburger with a salad.

The Buckhorn is an old, historic building with the town;w opera house attached.  One of the staff showed me way to the opera house and I was left there to take some photos.  Thating able to take photos in the old opera house saved the day,

Back at the motel, check the route to the far SW of New Nexico to Rodeo to look at the museum there that I had been recommended.

No comments: