Monday, May 28, 2018

Trip to the Jemez Mountains

My friends from Hobbs are visiting. Saturday evening we met cousin Don and ha dinner at Billy's Long Bar. I devoured my service of the Enchilada Plate washed down with 3 pints of Kilt Lifter.

Sunday, I decided to take Pete and Jim on a tour of the Jemez Mountains.  A little late start but on the road about 11:30.  Traffic was bad at some places.  There was  Arts & Crafts show.  Cars all parked along the road at the Soda Dam. By the time we got to Rts 4 and 126, we were looking to get of the road for a little and have some lunch.

Note to self - do not play tour guide in the mountains on a holiday weekend.

The store there did not have much, but next door was the Nomad Mountain Pizza establishment.  The pizza was "OK".  But something like $3 for a bottle of soda bottled in Durango was a bit steep.  To add to our negative recommendation was the service,  They said they had call-in orders that had them backed up.  The place was not that busy (it was about 1:15 in the afternoon) but it took about an hour before our pizza was delivered to the table.

When I got dressed in the morning, I decided I was going to wear my black "Free Yourself from Pants Prison" T-shirt from Damn Near Kilt 'Em and my black & McLeod plaid kilt. That took me out in public more than the last outing when I was just driving.  And it is a more dressy kilt for a Sunday Drive compared to my camo kilt that last day I wore one while traveling.It was a beautiful day and I did not feel embarrassed wearing my kilt.

I wanted to get a photo of me in my kilt and Jim to send to a couple of our online friends.  Where we were getting to get the photo, another customer came out of the door, and complimenting my for my kilt and wearing it.  His Dad wore a kilt for his wedding.  Gave me a push to wear my kilts more often.

We continued to Valles Caldera, past Los Alamos and Bandalier National Monument.  I noticed a new. large visitor's center for the Monument in White Rock.  The other new change is that private vehicles were not allowed - you board a shuttle bus from White Rock.

From there, it was time to head back to Rio Rancho.  Still had over an hour drive yet to get back.  Took the bypass around Santa Fe.  Pulled into the driveway about 5pm.

The dogs were very happy to see us, but a bit upset that we had left them in the sun porch!  After a bit of a rest and review of the trip, it was time for dinner.  Since we had a late lunch, we were not looking for a big dinner.  We opted for the "Local Brewhouse" just a mile from my house.  Had an enjoyable burger on the deck watching the sun sets on the Sandias.  Jim and I had local beer and Peter had a margarita.

Visited and did some online chatting until I was exhausted and headed to bed.  Very relaxing, interesting day for my second full-day outing in one of my kilts.

No comments: