Tuesday, January 7, 2014

2014 Mountain Bike Festivals

With the bitter cold weather this week, my thoughts started turning to warmer weather riding and the
Spring mountain bike festivals.  Previously, I have attended festivals in Rapid City, SD,  Hayward. WI,  Crosby, MN,  Quad Cities IA/IL, and Wausau, WI.  Here's what I know now and those I will be watching for locations and dates.

Black Hills Fat Tire Festival (Rapid City, SD) has moved is dates.  The festival had been held Memorial Day weekend.  This year it is scheduled for June 20-22, 2014.  Rapid City Parks & Recreation returns as the organizers.

Today, I was able to confirm dates for the Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Festival in Crosby, MN.  The festival will be held on Friday and Saturday June 13-14, 2014.  Headquarters is the Crosby Town Park (camping spaces available).  Explore that trails of Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area.  I have attended this festival since the ride center opened. 

I have not been able to confirm dates for CAMBA Festival of the Trails.  Previously, it has been held over the National Trails Day weekend except for 1 year when it was held over Memorial Day weekend.  In 2013, the festival was held the same weekend of the first annual Mt. Borah Epic Mountain Bike Race.  That race will be held on Saturday, May 31, 2014.

The festivals in the Quad Cities were MidWest Mountain Bike Festival - held there for 2 years.  That festival moves every 2 years - I believe is is being hel in Brown County, IN in 2013-14.

In 2012 I attended GnomeFest.  That yeat it was held at Nine Mile Woods near Wausau, WI.  I have relatives in the Wausau area.  That was the only year it has been at Nine Mile Woods.  No plans to attend this year.

The best situation for me was last year - when I was able to attend Festival of the Trails in Hayward, WI the first weekend of June.  Play tourist in Superior/Dulth.  Then attend Cuyuna Festival.  If the 2014 Festival of the Trails is held the weekend on May 33 - June 1, I may have to skip that festival and revisit the possibility of making the 10 day trip adding Black Hills Festival.


Just for information (June is mountain bike month, it seems) Crested Butte (CO) Bike Week is June  25-29, 2014.

No comments: