Monday, January 11, 2016

Georgia O'Keeffe Country

After 4 storms in the last week, today dawned sunny, though cold.  Y was getting cabin fever, so decided to take a drive up to Georgia O'Keefe's Ghost Ranch.  Took the scenic loop via Cuba, Ghost Ranch, Espanola.

As I climbed towards Cuba in US 550, the temperature kept dropping.  Snow on the ground, unlike the bare ground in Albuquerque.  When I hit Cuba, the temperature was down to 8 deg.

Highway 96 North from Cuba was a winter wonderland.  Evergreen trees were laden with heavy snow.  Unfortunately, I had a truck right behind me and no place to allow him to pass.  Would have like to stop to take a couple photos.

By the time I reached Gallina, moost of the snow was gone.  Stopped to take a couple photos at Abiqula reservoir and dam.  Recreational areas on the lake side and down river from the dam.  A short drive up US 84 to the Ghost Ranch.

It was lunch time when I reached the Welcome Center.  At the desk, they directed me to the dining hall if I wanted lunch to kill the time until the gift shop opens.  At the dining hall, I saw no facilities for purchasing a meal.  Looked like all a sign-in system for lunch.  Returned the the Welcome Center and listen to the radio until 1pm.  Picked up a couple t-shirts and a book and headed back down the road.
t
With the beautiful scenery, I can understand why O'Keeffe likes this part of New Mexico.  The upper photo was taken in front of the Welcome Center. There were some unusual formations like the one in the lower photo.

By the time I got to Espanola, it was past time to get some lunch.  Stopped by at "Dandy's" hamburgers.  For something different opted for the chili dog and fries.  Was not a good choice.  Neither the hot dog or the chili had any taste.

At this time, I was going to hit rush hour in Albuquerque.  Took the bypass around Santa Fe.  Got off I-25 at San Mateo.  Stopped by the Boot Barn to straighten out any confusion with their rewards program.

Exhausted when I got back to the house at 6pm.  Processed photes and cashed into bed a little after 7pm.

Check out this Artsy page for more information about  O'Keeffe's work.

No comments: