Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Five Years and Counting


Five years ago today I was taken to the hospital with what I thought (and later confirmed) a stroke. The next day my doctors found that I had a failed heart valve which was the cause of the stroke.

During the week I was in the hospital, I received a mechanical heart valve, started on recovery from open heart surgery, and began the effort to recover my speech. Thanks to the excellent care I received at Nebraska Medical Center, home care from Visiting Nursing Association of Pottawatammie County, and Rehab at Jennie Edmundson Hospital.

When I was released from the hospital I could hardly speak and walked with a walker. Today, most people do not realize I have a speech problems. After cardiac rehab I started my new life - of an avid cyclist. As readers of this blog know, I ended up riding over 3300 miles on my bicycles last year.

Now, I am in another struggle with my health - a cancer. I will beat or at least tame this beast. I expect to come out of this stronger, yet.

GET OUT AND RIDE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rock on Tom!