Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Lake Manawa Clean-up Day


Was out for my bike ride yesterday. Was a nice, sunny day. Short bibs, s/s jersey, and light jacket, but a stiff wind from the NW. Headed out from the Wabash Trace trailhead towards Lake Manawa.

Rode down to the river so see what flora what is coming back. Seems trees are doing well. Grass is coming back in areas that were not inundated with sand and silt. Where there are dunes of sand and sild, nothing seems to have taken root. Its still as wasteland.

Turning back onto the Lake Manawa Trail, I noticed the sign advertising Lake Manawa Clean-up Day, Sunday, May 6th. This is an annual effort. If you are in the area, please try to attend and help clean up one of our State Parks. THOR (Trails Have Our Respect) has been supporting the clean-up. We usually lead the effort around the river boat ramp.

Back to the ride - I stopped at Indian Creek Bridge for water and a shot blok. Knew it would be rough riding the 1 1/2 miles into the wind. When I got to Veterans Memorial, I decided to head back (instead pf riding on to the Trails Center). After all, I still have over a mile into the wind to get back to the car!

Legs were almost spent when I got back to the car. But, glad I was out for the ride.

No comments: