Friday, May 11, 2012

Palo Duro Canyon SP - Take 2

It felt great to stretch out the legs in the room in Larned, KS. Was on the road towards Amarillo by 8am (late for my normal schedules). Lots of 2-lane driving Thursday and a construction delay (KS 23 south of Dodge City). Checked into the Quality Inn West, Amarillo. Very spacious (king mini suite?) room. Left the hybrid bike in the room, changed into cycling kit, and headed to Palo Duro Canyon State Park.

The weather had turned cloudy. The temperature dropped into the upper 60s (from upper 70s). Was much more comfortable for riding. I was not happy with the flat light (for photos).

The goal was to ride the Lighthouse Trail. The trail starts out as a flowing singletrack. Soon, another leg of the trail joins, and its now a very wide trail. The easy, flowing trail quickly changes to the rough up/down/rocky trail. I had to walk a lot of the trail. At 0.4 mile, it was obvious that this trail is over my riding abilities.

The photo with this posting was near the point I turned around. In the photo is Lighthouse Peak, Capitol Peak, and my Fuel EX7.

Back at the trailhead, I loaded up the bike. Made a short walk to shoot some of the cactus flowers. In February, this was as far I could go into the Park (road closed for hunting). On this trip, I drove to the end of the road and returned an the alternate park road. Stopped to take a couple photos.

Time for some food. The hotel desk clerk suggested Hoffbrau Steakhouse. the restaurant was just across the interstate. I pigged out of great food. Stuffed, I found my way back to the room, watched TV, checked e-mail and facebook, and then crashed.

No comments: