Thursday, September 3, 2015

Elroy-Sparta State Trail

After some coffee and breakfast, I was off to Wilton to ride the Elroy-Sparta State Trail.  This was the first Rails-to-Trails in Wisconsin.  Planned to ride West from Wilton up to Tunnel 2, a 2 mile ride.  Was a humid, but not too warm morning (low/mid 70s).  Stopped in at the Hardware Hank's that sells trail passes.  Since i will be in the area for the long weekend and will be Wisconsin 2 more times later this year, I splurged with the $20 year pass.

I forgot how exhausting it  grinding up the constant 2% grade on these trails. Had to be stopped to rest my legs and slow down my heart rate a couple times during the climb.  My legs were almost toast when I arrived at the tunnel.  Had my headlight - but not seeing anything in the 1/4 mile tunnel.  Fog rolling out of the tunnel (see photo).  Took a couple photos in the tunnel and headed down the hill.  Really enjoyed coasting the 2 miles back down to town.

Back at the house, I processed photos from the ride. Then time for a shower (felt great).

Gerry and I headed into Coon Valley for lunch.  The bat (Legacy Grill & Pub) had craft beers on top.  Had 2 glasses of Capital Brewery's Wisconsin Amber with a cheeseburger and fries.  We were served by Leah.  Friendly establishment, good selection of craft beers.

More visiting with the family.  Then it was time to finish photos and write yesterday's blog posting.

No comments: