Sunday, June 28, 2009

Desert Botanical Garden


Yesterday, I decided to take a day off the bike. Was debating about riding early in the morning - thinking I should do a pavement ride. But, it was clear and sunny - looking to be a very hot day.

Friday, some of the folks went to the Desert Botanical Garden. I decided it was a good place to go - to shoot of the desert flora. Yes, it was HOT at the garden. However, I got some really good shots.

In the afternoon, it was the business meeting of the reunion. Next year we will go to Myrtle Beach, SC.

The evening was filled with our banquet. I was very busy - taking photos. Portraits of everyone. Then some photos of the crowd. Finally, photos of the program.

The keynote speaker was the Sheriff of Maricopa County, AZ. I had never heard of him, but I guess he is infamous for what he did in the county prison system. Anyway - his remarks were more like a campaign speech. His right wing comments did not belong in the address to our group. Had it not for my respect for the guys and the unit, I would have walked out. Put a hell of a damper on my mood (would have liked to head out and get on my bike!)

The bright spot after the address was the auctioning of the photo I donated. The photo was of the memorial for our unit in Ft. Benning, GA. It went for $160!!!

No comments: