Thursday, April 14, 2011

Lake Manawa Clean-up Day


Over the last week or so, I started seeing the notices of the annual Lake Manawa Clean-up Day. Its is held every year on the first Sunday of May. Hundreds of folks gather for pick up trash in Lake Manawa State Park (Iowa).

THOR (Trails Have Our Respect - our local dirt trail advocacy group) helps lead the effort in the mountain bike trail area. Please take time to help on May 1st.

Yesterday, I took the time to take a photo of the clean-up day poster. It was taken during my bicycle ride. A relatively short ride for me (10+ miles on pavement).

I was a bit tired after the ride taken Tuesday. Needed just a good recovery ride. Clouds were gathering, temperature in) the 70s, winds picking up and changing direction (from the SE when I started.

Started from the Wabash Trace Trailhead and headed down toward Lake Manawa. Riding the "Super T" road bike. Was not sure if I was just doing a Manawa Loop or to the Trails Center and back.

As I started up Indian Creek Trail, I realized the wind had changed, now from the NE. So, opted to a lap around Manawa and back to the trailhead. After all, this was supposed to be a recovery ride from 25 miles the day before!

Had a relaxing ride through the residential area in Lake Manawa. Back up the trail along side Mosquito Creek, I encountered a good headwind. Still ended up wirh 11.8 miles in 54 minutes (12 mph).

No comments: