Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Singletrack! Cuyuna Style


This morning I was a little apprehensive about heading out to ride singletrack. My last ride in the dirt was the end of June! And, I had some nasty crashes the frist weekend of June. When last at Cuyuna, I did not feel comfortable riding contour trails.

Dan, the owner of the motel, suggested that I try Man Cage trail. I aired up the tires, lowered the saddle, and headed on the trail in the Yawkey Unit. It took a little time before I found the rhythm of the trail. Rollers, short climbs, short descents. There were a couple sections that I walked - as my confidence grew, those sections shortened.

The top photo was taken on Man Cage.

Man Cage trail is a "Blue" More Difficult trail. The 0.9 mile trail whet my appetite for a little more singletrack. I had told the motel where I would be riding at Yawley or Boot Camp. Boot Camp is a Green trail. I had thought of riding that trail back in June, but was not sure of the drop-offs. My new found confidence, I was ready.

On over the other other end of the SRA. The lower photo is of my Fuel EX7 on Boot Camp.

Boot Camp does not have the rollers. But, it has rocky spots, some roots, and old buried cables across the trail. Almost all of that trail I was able to ride. Another trip, I think I would be able to ride the whole trail (about a 1 mile trail).

Boot Camp ends by dropping onto the paved Cuyuna Lakes State Trail. That's a nice cool-down from the singletrack.

Felt great to ride the dirt again. Now, which trail(s) do I want to ride tomorrow?

BTW, it was an awesome day, weather-wise. During my morning ride, I broke a sweat wearing bibs and a short-sleeve jersey. Thermometer in the car showed upper 70s.

No comments: