Friday, February 6, 2015

Phoenix to Albuquerque

It was a frustrating start to the day.  Tried to do some computer work (check e-mail and facebook).  The hotel internet connection kept dropping.  So, figured to check out of the hotel and have some coffee, and maybe some breakfast when that is available.  That did not work because there were no parking spaces anyway near the hotel office.  I got on the road and stopped for breakfast at the Buckboard City Cafe in Superior, AZ.  Good breakfast, reasonable price, I was the only customer in the restaurant.

My plan was to drive mostly 2-lane roads today.  Wanted to see some scenery. Decided to head East out of the Phoenix area on US 60. It was still dark (starting to get some light in the East) when I stopped for breakfast. 

Right after Superior, the road starts climbing.  There's a tunnel through the mountain soon up the climb.  Stopped for a couple photos up.  From the map, it did not looking I would be seeing much scenery other than desert-scape and scrub.  About half way between Globe and Show Low, I had a sign stating I was entering Salt River Canyon.  What a beautiful drive down to the floor of the canyon and climbing back up.

At Quemado, New Mexico I turned toward Grants on secondary roads.  It was the shorter route to Albuquerque and I would be able to drive through El Malpais National Monument. By this time, I was getting tired (actually having problems being tired most of the drive).  Found my hotel and checked in.  The room is a it smaller than i was used to, not fridge or microwave, and only coffee in the morning. 

Checking my messages, made arrangements to meet a high school girl friend as she is driving through the area in her 18-wheeler.  Having breakfast tomorrow morning.

Upper photo here is of Salt River Canyon.  The lower photo is of the buttes in El Malpias National Monument.

No comments: