Monday, May 4, 2015

Crested Butte / Gunnison, CO

Woke up in the middle of the night last night in Manitou Springs.  Peaking through the window, I noticed that the street lights and other unessential lights are off.  Looks like they are reducing light pollution.  The other thing I noticed was the parking lot was wet with a light rain.

Ended up getting a good, long night's sleep.  Had a light breakfast.  With the pints and sandwich last night, also I need was a pastry and coffee.

Relatively uneventful drive to Crested Butte.  Saw the Visitor's Center in Crested Butte.  With the sign proclaiming "Elevation 8885", there was no way I was able to ride a bike there.  Had problems just walking in the historic district.  At least I was able to take a couple photos before I turned back and down to Gunnison.  The photo here is of Elk Street in CB.  It is between seasons in Crested Butte.  Many restaurants and stores would not open again until June.

In Gunnison, I found my hotel.  The desk clerk at the Rodeway Inn was very helpful in orienting me the downtown.  First on the agenda was finding a bike shop.  The folks at Double Shot Cyclery was very helpful.  Hartman Rocks Recreation Area is about the only place to mountain bike.  Came out with a map of the recreation area and suggestions for riding.

Grabbed my bags for this section of the trip and moved them from the car to the room.  Copied the day's photos from the camera to the hard drive.  Next it was off to food.  At the Crested Butte Visitor's Center, I was steered to Gunnisack in Gunnison.  As it happened, Monday is Burger Night!  And, if I I timed it right, could also hit happy hour.  Ended up with a 1/2 # cheeseburger, fries, and a pint of Fat Tire for $9 plus tip!


No comments: