Monday, January 3, 2011

First Ride of 2011


This morning I had to take the car into the shop for a new battery. Back home, I just could not get moving. Sunny morning, in the 30s, no wind. Perfect - for January in Iowa, at least.

I was able to motivate myself to get ready for a bike ride. Too warm to ride singletrack. Figured the paved trails would be in a mixture of conditions - icy, snow covered, wet, and dry. Aired up the tires of my "Ice Bike" - Trek 4300 with studded tires and combo pedals.

Parked at the Wabash Trace Trailhead. From the condition of the parking lot, I could see that the trail will be in the condition I expected.

Rode the Lake Manawa Trail to the Indian Creek Bridge. Today's photo shows the Lake Manawa Trail early this afternoon. I did not to push it too much today, so headed back.

Detoured to the river (mountain bike trail area). The river level has dropped considerably since I last rode there. Another detour to the lake. There were a couple folks out on the lake. Was thinking of taking a spin on the lake, but backed out.

By the time I was at the Nature Trail, the snow/ice was nearly melted from the trail surface. Ended up with 11.6 miles for my first ride of 2011. Forecast is for more rideable days this week. Xtreme Winterfest Bike Ride should be cool (low/middle 20s) and clean Saturday.

No comments: