Thursday, June 9, 2011

Cross the border to Minnesota


It was cold and windy this morning. And for some reason, I was a bit tired. Slow getting going and decided to not ride before leaving Superior. Went on across the river to Duluth, MN. Was going to find some bicycle trails to photograph. A singletrack trail looked promising (from the maps). I could not find the trailhead on Skyline Drive.

After taking some photos from the drive (overlooking the twin ports), I stopped in the Minnesota Information Center. They recommended a stop at Jay Cooke State Park.

Stopped at the park office. Day permit is $5. Talked with the ranger there to see if I would need a sticker at the Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area. Since I will be there for 3 days, it made some sense to buy the $25 annual sticker. Anyway, unlike other states, the Minnesota sticker is valid for 12 months, not a calendar year.

Had a nice visit in the park. Near the park office is the Swinging Bridge over the St. Louis River. Got some good photos from the bridge. Also, per the ranger's recommendation, I drove about a miles to another parking lot. Walked a paved trail and was treated to a couple beautiful vista - overlooking the St. Louis River.

From there it was a boring and uneventful drive to Deerwood, MN. Checked into my motel.

No comments: