Thursday, June 9, 2011

More Waterfalls and a Museum


Wednesday was a short drive from Ashland to Superior, Wisconsin. Two State Parks was on the agenda - Amnicon Falls and Pattison. Both are near Superior.

Amnicon Falls State Park is along Highway 2, about a mile from Highway 53. All of the falls can be viewed with a short hike (the same of about walking around a city block).

Being Spring, I was treated to water falling over "On and Off Falls". In dry seasons, the falls is dry. Viewing that falls is just to right from the restrooms.

From there, head over towards the covered bridge. Before you get to the bridge, the main falls is on your left. If you want, you can walk down to a viewing platform and even on down to the river side. I did not to climb down (and back up) with my cameras.

Took some good photos from the bridge (top photo). Then continued my hike around the island. On the back on the island is another falls. Finally, the lower falls. The best view of the lower falls is down from the covered bridge, back on the mainland side of the bridge.

It was a little after noon, and I was getting hungry. At the US 2 and County U (road to the park) is Rapid's Riverside Bar & Grill. Had a good bacon cheeseburger and kettle chip. The place even had free Wi-Hi and i was able to check mail and facebook.

From there, county roads to Pattison State Park. Pattison is located on Highway 35 South of Superior. When I was planning this trip, I almost bypassed this park. Glad I did not miss it.

Manitou Falls is a "don't miss" falls. At 165 feet, It is the highest falls in Wisconsin and the 4th highest East if the Rockies. I parked near the park office. Walked past the beach, under the highway tunnel, and on the trail to the falls.

Hicked down the side of the river to the two viewing points. Saw others viewing the falls from the other side of the river. So, crossed the little bridge and hiked the other side.

It left me with a longer hike but saw the falls from both sides of the river. While exploring the park, I saw that I could have parked at another parking lot (on county B). Guess the exercise was good for me.

The best view of the falls is from the second viewing point on the small parking lot. When I got back to the car, I drove the mile down Highway 35 to find the Little Manitou Falls. It was worth the time - a pretty falls with lots of water dropping over the falls.

Found my motel. When I checked in, the told me there is a special at the Veteran's Museum in town. after checking in the room, I headed to the museum. The museum is named after Richard I Bong (whom was from Poplar, Wisconsin). Lots of stuff in Superior (and the state recreation area in Kenosha County - other corner of the state) is named for Bong. Major Richard I Bong was a WWII ace fighter pilot.

No comments: