Saturday, October 11, 2014

Heading East

Started loading the car before breakfast.  Had the normal fare for this hotel (it would be great if they changed the hot entree - sausage and scrambled eggs can get old),  I reminded the desk clerk that the phote in my room STILL did work this morning.  Had never worked during my 4 night stay.  Was on the road a little before 9am.

Was a zoo getting across the bridge to USA. Think all of the Canadians in that area where heading to New York for their holiday (Canadian Thanksgiving) weekend.  Construction and detour getting out of Niagara Falls, New York to the Thruway.

Started driving on the NY Thruway.  Stopped at the first rest area and picked up a New York state map.  Decided to get off the highway.  Just East of Rochester, I dropped down to US-20 and took this all the way to Albany.  US 20 is tagged as a Scenic Byway in New York!  There were sections in the Finger Lakes region where I thought I was riding a rollercoaster!.

On top of that, there was  a back-up on US-20.  Some kind of festival (strawberry or some such) in on of the valleys.  State police directing traffic (that is never a plus).  To me, it looked like they were justing traffic out of the festival as fast as they could - at the expense to through traffic.

I was getting tired and thinking of moving back onto the Thruway.  Then I started watching the building as I drove past -- there were lots of old building and lots of them abandoned.  Stopped to  take photos (where the road and traffic allowed). 

Checked into the hotel and processed my photos.  Was debating if I should eat or just call it a night.  The desk clerk suggested a place for brew and sandwiches less than a block from the hotel.  Not sure how my knee/leg would deal with the walk, I drove to Smokey Bones.  They were featuring theor own beer (Bones Brew - a red ale) as a special for $2.75!  Used a pint to wash down a burger and fries.

No comments: